Washout
We've just had a reasonable sized thunderstorm down here in leafy Chiba-ken. Nothing too dramatic but enough fork lightening around for me to take my lap top down from my eyrie upstairs into the kitchen and do some reading until it had passed. Better safe than sorry! I've had a computer 'zapped' once before!
I was telling one of our students this morning about memories of a storm when I was a child of maybe six or seven. Was it really so bad as I recall or was it just that I was so young? I don't know - and I keep meaning to read up the local newspaper archives - the 'Teesdale Mercury' - to check the reality against my recollection.
It was probably August 1953 or 1954 and I was staying in Barnard Castle with my grandmother. We headed for the 'Mains' - the old town 'demesne' fields down along the river where there were marquees and a show ring and lots of livestock. Also I'm sure a gymkhana in progress with ponies around and I think perhaps a ploughing contest too. In other words a typical North of England small country town 'show'.
Then at some stage the sky turned very dark and a great wind started to blow. It was like something out of the Bible! Pure 'Old Testament' in fact! Lightning flashed and thunder rolled and some terrified horses started to bolt. There was pandemonium, people running everywhere trying to find shelter and safety. I remember us getting soaked as we ran for the gate near the road, perhaps we took shelter in the gardens of the Bowes Museum.
Vivid memories - but how true? Was it just a sharp summer shower seen by a little boy or as dramatic as I remember it? When I get a chance to check out the "Teesdale Mercury" I'll let you know!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home