Little House in the Paddy

An Englishman who once lived in the countryside in Japan researching the development of a nearby city, enjoying his choral activities and observing the behavior of local people. Sadly he died of heart attack on the 14th July, 2011.

Monday, August 27, 2007

'Neko o miru' neko

When I went up to 'Landrome' to do some shopping for tea most of the women pushing trolleys around seemed to be in downright 'pokey' and unsmiley moods. End of the school holiday season I suppose exacerbated by husbands lounging around the house untidily making the most of their three day's annual leave. But mainly the heat, it has been cloudy today which just makes the humidity worse. However the JMA forecast for mid week sees us with daily maxima of under thirty degrees for the first time in a month so inch by inch autumn is arriving.

We were at a barbecue yesterday evening and I noticed then a very 'autumnish' moon looming through the early evening mist over Matsuo way. It was a classic 'tsuki o miru' moment - a 'moon-viewing evening' - and in Old Japan they would have been out there writing seasonal haiku as quick as you could pull your fan out of your yukata sleeve. But we were all chatting away in French (of a kind!) to a friend's parents who are over here from Montreal. They haven't stopped sweating since they got of the plane. Quebec to Kanto in August is truely 'savage amusement' eh?

By the time I got home from the supermarket today Pero was out by the gate looking for some early evening trouble. She's a 'neko o miru neko' in this hot weather - a 'cat-viewing cat'. What better fun in the evening heat than to beat up a few 'strays' in the neighbourhood before feeding time after sleeping under the cool air-con all day?

She made me think of that old nursery rhyme

"Fee fi, foe, fum ... I smell another neko chum ..."

Just put one paw on this side of the lane and see what happens next ...

1 Comments:

At 5:45 am, Blogger The Draughtsman said...

Garfield would say "Don't go there, - bad things happen."
I wonder how Garfield the cartoon cat would make out in Japan?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Travel