Watch out for Nurse Ratched
Into town yesterday to go to the archive office. The planning meeting I attended on Thursday had thrown up some information in a document that didn't look right to me and I wanted to check it out. So I took the opportunity to copy the relevant census data and also get some data for my thesis that I knew I was missing. That is a bit of a 'Forth Bridge' task, you never know you don't have it until you start on a paragraph or table and discover the numbers aren't in the pile you thought they were in. But I'm trying to limit my trips to no more than one a fortnight.
Actually yesterday was my first trip into town on my own since I got back, and my first trip to the archive office in three months. It was interesting to notice all the changes that had been taking place in the streets around Hon-Chiba station since I was last there. A new apartment building that was a hole in the ground in August is now 'topped out' and the steelwork almost complete. The new Prefecture offices are looming over the ring road and they are busy constructing the interior. A derelict car park I used to take a short cut across has had new markings painted and is now being used for short term pay parking. I had to pick my way between the cars.
Great to be back in the archives too! I really like working in that place, nice staff and nice environment, it has become an enduring part of my life. Without it, and especially the wonderful collection of aerial photographs there, I'd never have got my thesis done.
This is the only archive I've ever used where there is piped music drifting around the place - subtle but still there. If you go once you would hardly notice it but if you have worked there daily for some time the tape - there only is ONE tape playing continuously of course! - becomes deeply familiar to you. That sad little violin solo, the valse from ... um ... what is it? The 'Merry Widow'? All this music has a kind of 'Palm Court Orchestra' Belle Epoch wistful and nostalgic feel.
I was laughing yesterday imagining that Nurse Ratched was going to suddenly show up behind the request counter, glaring down the row of desks towards me. "Time for my medication" eh?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home