Little House in the Paddy

An Englishman who once lived in the countryside in Japan researching the development of a nearby city, enjoying his choral activities and observing the behavior of local people. Sadly he died of heart attack on the 14th July, 2011.

Saturday, August 06, 2011

Day 3 & 4 - 9th & 10th July

It seemed he was getting better over the next three days.

Saturday 9th

On Saturday the 9th, Iain said he was okay to go to the Kirkby Stephen East station to attend the annual general meeting in the morning. We went there together. He explained that he had a frozen shoulder and therefore was not able to do any physical work for a while. I think he was feeling quite guilty about not being helpful. Once he was involved in a project, he wanted to be responsible. When he saw all the others working hard with the engine and building the platform, how could he say he could not even look after the shop because of a pain in his arm? He didn’t like to be a sissy. After lunch I drove him back home and he stayed there for the rest of the day. I returned to the station and continued to paint woodwork. When I got back home I was also a bit tired so I think we had an early night.

I cannot remember when but at some stage he explained to me that he must have caught a cold on Tuesday night. He got wet before he took out his rain jacket from his backpack. So we both thought he was feeling so tired because of the bad combination of cold and frozen shoulder.

Sunday 10th July

On Sunday the 10th, the pain in his arm seemed to be reducing. We both went to the station at nine in the morning. I told him to rest at home but he came anyway and helped in the shop. Quite soon he went back home and later picked me up at around five o’clock. When he walked into the station he talked with someone first and then found me painting in a room. As we said good-bye to people he realised that he couldn’t find his car key. So we had to walk back to the station to look for it. Eventually he found it in the staff room. He said, “I didn’t leave it there. Somebody must have picked it up and put it on the table.” It was rather rare for him to lose his car key, even for a short time.

Back home, I remember him saying, “I don’t know why I feel so tired. Feels like all I want to do is sleep.” Before he went to bed, however, he was hunting for his boiler suit in preparation to go to Shildon the next day to scrape a steam engine. This engine was to be exhibited during the Stainmore 150 event in Kirkby Stephen East station.

posted by Edera

1 Comments:

At 9:16 pm, Blogger walter said...

Some weeks back, I was at the OBC weekend retreat near Eridge in East Sussex, and on Sunday while waiting for the train back to London, I was amused to see a steam event on the opposite platform (the enthusiasts have their own parallel line and station). What made is more interesting was the supporting cast of old military vehicles, and people in 40's wartime dress. American military police smartly saluting RAF officers, spivs and their ladies, station master complete with fob-watch and chain, all a bit surreal, but very enjoyable. I don't think it was a film set, just honest Sunday fun for enthusiasts. So, I can imagine Iain scraping a boiler!

Thanks for posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Travel