Little House in the Paddy

An Englishman who once lived in the countryside in Japan researching the development of a nearby city, enjoying his choral activities and observing the behavior of local people. Sadly he died of heart attack on the 14th July, 2011.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Let's have a few fantasies

Interesting that in English we use that term "second childhood" in the way we do. Sometimes of course Edera has to be a bit strict with me ... "Drink up your Miso soup!" ... "No! Won't, won't won't!" but that's not what I'm thinking of at the moment.

No, these days I often find myself tempted to play. For example we have a 'flea market' for our students tomorrow so I've spent part of today getting my garden railway running. I've had so much study to do recently that it's months since I last ran any trains outdoors and getting things moving again can involve a few hours of track cleaning and alignment and attention to electrical connections. Anyway now it's in order and trains are once more circling our shrubs. Maybe tomorrow I'll post some pictures.

Of course serious model railways are for grown up men you know. All those technical and craft skills, the knowledge of prototype history and practice. So I have to be careful that no-one is looking when I start to make silly train horn noises and drive as fast as I dare around corners. And it's fun to see the look of suprise on the faces of passers-by as a small train shoots out from behind some flowers. You don't expect it do you?

Anyway after lunch time for my nap but when I got upstairs I just couldn't resist bouncing a few empty PET coke bottles from my study down the stair well to see how they bounced around and hear all the noise. It's a good game eh? They made a neat avalanche. If you had been here we could have pretended that you were a pirate boarding my ship as you stuggled up the stairs against my plastic fusilade.

So maybe you can come around and play sometime, or we can go to the swings in the park. I don't see why kids should have all the fun, do you? Actually if you haven't done it recently it's even more fun playing games when you are a big boy than it ever was when you were little. And no one can make you eat up your miso soup either.

1 Comments:

At 5:52 am, Blogger The Draughtsman said...

Us menfolk never DID grow up! Permanent Peter Pans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Travel