Little House in the Paddy

An Englishman who once lived in the countryside in Japan researching the development of a nearby city, enjoying his choral activities and observing the behavior of local people. Sadly he died of heart attack on the 14th July, 2011.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Dodgy Academics

Today I have a dose of what a friend of mine recently described as GOMS (Grumpy Old Man Syndrome). I've learned from bitter experience that at such times it is best to 'do nothing' until the clouds have passed, but at least I can have a gripe here. So apologies in advance to both all academic and all American friends and readers eh? Sorry, sorry, sorry.

I just got a 'circular' about an academic meeting later this month. I was scheduled to be 'presenting' there but not any more it seems, I have been dropped from the programme in favour of someone else. In a way it's a blessing because I would have been pressed for time to prepare but it does dint my confidence a bit when I feel I need cheering on towards that 'finishing line'.

Who knows why but it was deliberate for sure. At the last meeting I could sense the superannuated American professor who organises these bashes shifting his ground. I explicitly reminded him of our agreement but he's changed it anyway. Maybe just lack of organisation skills (a possibility!), maybe he didn't like my face (also possible!). But on the evidence my best guess is that he had his ear bent by some old chum to 'slip in' some 'rising star' student and it was just convenient for him to overlook a commitment he had already made to someone else.

It isn't the first time I've experienced similar stuff from academics here and always American it seems. It's a small pond for them and something of a ghetto for the 'Old Japan Hands' as they like to refer to themselves and there are certainly some around who behave like the 'Occupation' had just ended. Often the stuff they have written isn't so good either. You discover the hard way those that aren't to be trusted.

I think I was probably lucky to avoid an academic career. If the dice had fallen slightly differently I would have had one and probably hated it. Coming to research at my age it has to be purely for the love of knowledge because there are certainly no other rewards to be had. I meet so many in the vocation who have just 'lost their vocation' but still have babies to feed or mortgages to pay. Like priests who lost their faith. What will you give me for a barrowload of ageing and bored academics? Not a lot eh?

I could write much more about this theme but better stop there before a brick comes through the window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Travel