Little House in the Paddy

An Englishman who once lived in the countryside in Japan researching the development of a nearby city, enjoying his choral activities and observing the behavior of local people. Sadly he died of heart attack on the 14th July, 2011.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mops for Merit

Area tidy-up this morning, they were 'off the mark' at 8:00 am as usual. There are five or six such Sundays in the year, times when people pick up litter (not that there is much, because obviously it gets picked up the moment we see any anyway!) and weed and 'strim' around the place to make it tidy. The quality of this work is very different to what would happen in England somehow, where I'm sure some hearty volunteers would take over if such a thing were ever to happen (which I guess it usually does only in 'nice' places). Here it has more or a sense of undefined obligation, something that you do like taxing your car. And most places get cleaned up by the residents, not in the middle of the city I guess but certainly out here in the country.

I've never got involved with this event somehow. It is partly practical, I've a phobia of snakes and I don't fancy leaping into the long grass around here in summer time. And also only one person from a household goes, which is obviously going to be the Japanese one if there is a choice. But mainly it is cultural - could a mere 'gaijin' actually do this? Isn't it something only 'we Japanese' can do?

There is more to this, mustn't overstate it because it is no 'big deal' - but it definitely doesn't bring out the best in people. I always feel there is something competitive going on here that I can't quite put my finger on and it is about being a 'better citizen' than other people. It must come from a now largely vanished farming village culture, where the 'moral high ground' was 'power'. Heck! Isn't it always?

So if we plan to meet at 8:00, I'll be there at 7:00. I'll do more work than you, and better, I'm more 'competent'. Maybe no need for you to turn up! Then the merit will all be mine! Why don't you 'take it easy' then we can do it? This comes from when people acquired status through their capacity for work, I'm sure of it. And obviously, the more you work the more important you are ...

Naming no names but I've often noticed this at a temple I sometimes visit for meditation. After the meditation and the talk and more meditation there is 'temple clean-up'. Everybody is there at the starting gate and when the monk blows the whistle (It is OK - I'm joking! Honto!) there is a scrummage for the pile of brooms because there aren't enough to go around nor is there enough floor for people to sweep either. You might end up with a non-job like wiping the slippers with a moist rag - the shame of it!

I've seen people almost come to blows over that last broom! Really unpleasant competitive stuff, wrestling over mops for merit and brooms for 'Brownie points'. It never seems to occur to anyone that maybe the really compassionate thing would be to let someone else have a go, let them feel like THEY are doing something useful instead. maybe the 'grown ups' should let the kiddies have a turn. Very, very sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Travel