Computers. The jury is 'out'.
I'd never have had myself down as a Luddite but I'm starting to feel that way around computers these days. I mean, all I really want is one that works and never breaks down.
This one has been looking a bit dodgy recently when I shut it down - kiss it goodnight and switch off the light. Looks like a problem with the registry files. So I downloaded something I thought might solve it but it seems that somehow I got a copy of the new Windows anti-virus and firewall program. How did that happen? Must have been a 'senior moment'. Now Microsoft and McAfee Marketing Departments are at war on my laptop every time I log on - whichever one grabs control first seems determined to wipe out the other and block access to everything in sight. Ho Hmm!
Somehow software designers don't understand that 98% of us aren't interested in their world or their lives, we just need something that works properly. I mean, how would it be if we were driving our cars along and suddenly a message flashed up on the dashboard "Danger of fatal accident! Pull over now and tighten bolt SD-39 to 55 lbs torsion immediately!" We wouldn't accept it would we? What is so different about lap tops?
Lurking in the back of my mind is the idea that once I've finished my thesis I might just stop using the wretched things. I spend too much time at it in any case. I'm not ready to take a vow (as journalists love to say) about it yet but it suddenly occurs to me as a possibility. I have to start asking myself the questions "Do I really like them?" and "Just because eveyone else is doing this do I have to follow lemming-like into that void?"
Dunno. But keep reading me for now anyway!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home