Two more things to keep me going
I would like to add two more things that helped me keep writing.
As I wrote in my previous post, Rev. Mugo has been helping me to write about what had happened. Who is Rev. Mugo? Did I tell you about her before? Iain became a Soto Zen Buddhist in the U.K. and Rev. Mugo is his teacher. I am really grateful to him for having kept his practice in his group here in the U.K. and for having maintained his close spiritual connection with Rev. Mugo for over twenty years, a close one in the last ten years. Without him, Rev. Mugo wouldn’t be here.
Another thing is that writing in a language which is not quite mine has enabled me to express difficult things because somehow it makes me sit straight and I have to try to be logical and more objective. Writing in English makes sense because not many of Iain’s friends will read Japanese. However I’m scared to think what kind of impressions native English readers receive from my writing. Rev. Mugo says my English is back to front and too many commas! I know I sometimes miss out articles because we don’t have them in Japanese. Well, I can try to be more creative and make it upside down sometimes? Just joking.
As somebody kindly commented, I know that Iain had an amazing style of his own sprinkled with vast knowledge of - well - almost everything. However it made his writing difficult to understand for non-native speakers. Our students often told me that reading Iain’s blog was quite a big task for them.
So let’s assume there may be good things as well in my simple English, eh?
posted by Edera

2 Comments:
Your writing, Edera, has directness and clarity and with your openness has touched me deeply. Again thank you.
Chris
Edera - I don't know you.... I only knew Iain and from a number of years ago. But I'm certain he would be very very proud of you. x
Post a Comment
<< Home