Our breakfast

Looking at this photo, did you think I eat spring onions for breakfast? Yep! But not as they are.
Before I tell you about our breakfast, can I ask what you eat for breakfast? Tea, toast with butter? Weetabix?
Back in Japan Iain and I had three choices; rice and miso soup, porridge on busy mornings, and homemade bread with bacon and eggs to please Iain since he became homesick for a British breakfast from time to time. We don’t have black pudding in Japan, though!
Here in the U.K., Rev. Mugo and I are enjoying brown rice and miso soup almost every morning. We have got Italian brown rice which is easier to cook than Japanese brown rice. The miso was brought from Japan. It goes without saying that Rev. Mugo is a vegetarian so I don’t use any fish stock to make miso soup here. We just boil lots of vegetables and add miso at the very end of cooking. We have so much fun out of it. For topping I sprinkle chopped negi in Japan but here we use chopped spring onion. At first I was using leek but spring onions also taste wonderful. They are so nice I can survive without negi, I suppose.
posted by Edera

9 Comments:
Negi?
Mugo
Hello Edera,
Rev. Mugo has done an excellent job converting Nancy and I to miso and vegetable soup for breakfast! Since we have a big garden, we just go out and get some greens and whatever else is ready that day.
Rev. Mugo also showed us how to make our own gemasio (toasted sesame seed and sea salt) to sprinkle on the miso soup.
And you're right, we have a lot of fun with it!
Thanks for the breakfast posting, Jim and Nancy
Hello Jim and Nancy, thanks for your comment. Nothing is better than having your own vegetable garden. You can eat veggies so fresh and so at hand! The pleasure of picking some greens, feeling the fresh air, meeting creatures living there is immense.
I think we usually sprinkle gomashio (goma:sesami + shio:salt) on top of rice but it will also be nice with miso. Actually Rev. Mugo put some ginger in miso soup which I had never tried before and it tasted delicious!
Rev. Mugo
Negi in this post means Japanese spring onion.
There are mainly two kinds of Negi sold in the supermarket in Japan - large thicker negi which we often refer to as Naga-negi (long negi) and small thinner one which we call Asatsuki.
I have never come across vegetarian black puddings, but we do have excellent vegetarian haggis up here in Scotland (made by McSweens, of course!). Now, vege haggis with a miso sauce would be a true cultural fusion...
Bob
No natto?
Hi Bob,
Actually I'm very curious about haggis which I have never tried yet. Now I'm even more curious to eat vegetarian haggis!
Hi Walter,
Yes, natto is usually on the table in the mornings! And tsukemono (pickled vegetables) of all kinds.
What do you eat for breakfast? Are you from Hungary?
No, 49% English, 51% Flemish, but I participate in a very minor way (increasing, I hope) to a blog hosted in Hungary. Blogger leaves traces! I could never enthuse over the traditional breakfast in Japan, sad to say, but after midday could eat anything!
Post a Comment
<< Home